Jen & Rob purchased Pheasant Cottage in 2016 and immediately set upon a journey to transform the property.
When we bought this cottage we fell in love with the beautiful setting and amazing scenery. It was beautiful, but it needed work. Although not in bad condition, it wasn't great. It was very stuffy with a difficult layout, and required some modernisation (such as central heating – which is a necessity in highland, Scotland!!)
So we set to work. We have come a long way and we have undertaken the following work:
Taking down the internal stone walls to create a large (57 sq.m) living room, dining room and kitchen area – including a handmade shaker kitchen, range cooker, log burning stove and beautiful modern oak dining table.
• With the south-facing views on offer from the garden, we have added two sizeable windows and a back door to the kitchen and living room, ensuring views out whether you are sat on the sofa, at the dining table or cooking up a storm in the kitchen.
• Adding a porch to the front of the house for wet coats and muddy boots (another essential for the surrounding countryside) … also a perfect spot to store the picnic hamper & rug.
• Created a new master en-suite bedroom via an extension leading out from the existing building. This turned the original L shaped building into a U shape instead. The master bedroom now also includes French doors and side windows to ensure a full view of the landscape. The en-suite offering a walk in shower.
• A redesign of internal walls has led to an increase in size for the twin bedroom, with the addition of wood paneling.
• The main bathroom has been re-designed and now includes a large deluxe bath and limestone tile flooring.
• The whole cottage has been re-decorated throughout using the beautiful Farrow & Ball paint and modern country furniture.
. The Decor .
Inspired by the elements and natural surroundings the cottage has been sympathetically refurbished with a blend of Nordic contemporary style mixed with Scottish Highland charm.
The furniture has been handpicked for comfort and style and the bespoke kitchen, cupboards and cabinets have been handmade by local Scottish craftsmen. Finished off with ambient lighting and accented with tactile soft furnishing.
Pheasant Cottage has been a real labour of love and we are so pleased with the results. Below you will find some photos that we have taken as we have progressed with the renovations.